IAVCEI Comms session - Communication can be Tuff! - submit your abstract : )

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: "Stovall, Wendy K" <wstovall@xxxxxxxx>

Hello community!

If you talk about volcanoes, you know Communication can be "tuff!"  Please
consider submitting an abstract to our session about "conveying challenging
topics in volcanology."

------------
While communication is rarely straightforward, some topics are more
challenging than others. In this session, we seek to learn from our
communityâ??s broad expertise in communicating topics that are particularly
hard to convey, either because of public knowledge, risk perception,
messaging fatigue, or our own scientific uncertainty.

Topics may include, but are not limited to:

   - How to communicate about low-probability, high-impact hazards, such as
   large-scale caldera eruptions;
   - How to communicate about high-impact, low-visibility hazards, such as
   harmful gas emissions and prolonged ashfall;
   - How to communicate uncertainty in crisis or calm, to strengthen trust
   and build credibility;
   - How to understand and communicate relevant social science, such as
   risk perception and health impacts, within the volcanology community; and
   - How to address misinformation and mistakes, whether ours or someone
   elseâ??s.

We can learn from both successes and failures. We hope this session will
bring the volcanology community together to share how communication of
difficult topics can serve at-risk communities, the interested public,
researchers, agencies, and outreach efforts.

We look forward to seeing you there!
Wendy Stovall on behalf of co-conveners
Liz Westby
Beth Bartel