IAVCEI 2023 session: Magmatism and Volcanism in Continental Rifts

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

From: William Hutchison <wh39@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

With the deadline for the 2023 IAVCEI conference fast approaching, we would
like to draw your attention to our session on:

*Magmatism and Volcanism in Continental Rifts* in the Magmatism and
tectonism Symposia

A full session description is provided below and please note the abstract
submission deadline is September 2, 2022. You can submit your abstract
hereâ?¦ https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://confer.eventsair.com/iavcei2023/call-for-abstracts__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!a-FrI3weSIckuD2q8JHR__k7JkL7vI3ij960LBfk2Fwjo_Z469l-AHeZbXC4DuhSKMVCreIL8wrgmQN_$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://confer.eventsair.com/iavcei2023/call-for-abstracts__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!aYAHzaCfF31Rs1aYvVt-Rafd0ehuT23bqR9mWLlW68TX1IbZg82YKrLUVZ1s5Zj5kYNUor3OXSB42f3e8Cc$>

We cannot wait to see you there!

Warm wishes,

Dr Will Hutchison, Dr Karen Fontijn and Dr Finn Illsley-Kemp (conveners)

*Session description*

Continental rifts represent zones of incipient to advanced lithospheric
breakup, leading to the onset of oceanic spreading. The vast majority of
continental rifts are associated with magmatism and account for ca. 10% of
Earthâ??s active volcanoes. Rift volcanoes have historically been less active
than arc volcanoes, and are therefore comparatively understudied, with many
questions remaining on the magnitudes and timescales of activity,
compositional controls on eruptive style, their interaction with
extensional tectonics, and the related hazards and environmental impacts.

Most magmatism associated with continental rifts has a highly alkaline
nature, is often associated with carbonatite melts, and represents an
important reservoir of incompatible trace elements, including rare earths.
In failed rifts, fossilized magmatic intrusions offer economically
significant concentrations of critical metals which are increasingly
important for modern technology. In active volcanic rifts, often hosting
large calderas, extensive geothermal reservoirs are actively explored and
exploited as a renewable energy resource. Magmatic systems in rift
settings, many of them located in densely populated areas, thus represent
important resources for modern society, but crucially, our scientific
understanding of these systems remains limited.

In this session, we invite contributions on continental rift magmatism and
volcanism, from both modern active systems and fossilized rifts. This may
include studies on the magmatic-tectonic interactions and architecture of
the magmatic plumbing systems, magmatic differentiation and ore-forming
processes, characteristics of geothermal reservoirs, timescales and the
nature of unrest and volcanic eruptions, physical volcanology, as well as
hazards and risk associated with rift volcanism

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4