IAVCEI 2023 session: We invite submissions to our session, “Sudden explosive eruptions: understanding, forecasting, and mitigation”

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: "John Stix, Dr." <john.stix@xxxxxxxxx>

IAVCEI 2023 session:  We invite submissions to our session, â??Sudden
explosive eruptions: understanding, forecasting, and mitigationâ??

Sudden explosive eruptions of small magnitude (VEI 1-3) occur frequently
around the world. Small eruptions are more frequent than large eruptions,
allowing more opportunities to study them.  The eruptions occur with little
or no warning. Hence they are extremely hazardous for persons in the
vicinity of the crater, including local residents, scientists, civil
protection personnel, and tourists. The occurrence of small, sudden
eruptions could indicate that larger events will follow. Rapid analysis and
interpretation of eruptive data are thus necessary for hazard assessment.
The eruptions have a range of attributes, including phreatic (e.g., Ontake,
Japan, 2014), phreatomagmatic (e.g., Poás, Costa Rica, 2017), and magmatic
(e.g., Stromboli, Italy, 2019). We solicit contributions that deal with the
following issues. (1) What are the underlying mechanisms driving these
eruptions, including preparatory processes from the mantle to the surface,
prior to an eruption? (2) What if any precursors occur before these
eruptions, and are these forecast or hindcast? (3) What is the way forward
in terms of improved forecasting of these eruptions? (4) What new
methodologies, experiments, and studies are needed to better characterize
and understand these eruptions? (5) How are people best protected from and
informed about these types of eruptions?

John Stix, Alessandro  Aiuppa, and Maarten de Moor

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1