Fall AGU Session V004 - 2022 HTHH eruption

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: Simon Carn <scarn@xxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

We invite your contributions to our 2022 Fall AGU Meeting session
co-organized by the Volcanology, Geochemistry and Petrology (VGP) and
Atmospheric Sciences (AS) sections of AGU:

V004 - Dynamics and Atmospheric Impacts of the January 2022 Hunga
Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai Eruption

The explosive eruption of submarine Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai (HTHH)
volcano (Tonga) in January 2022 captured the attention of the global
scientific community with its towering eruption column, intense volcanic
lightning storm, globally-propagating atmospheric waves, and extensive
tsunamis that impacted the Kingdom of Tonga and regions further afield. It
may rank as the most energetic volcanic explosion on Earth since the great
1883 eruption of Krakatau (Indonesia). The products of the 2022 HTHH
eruption, and their potential atmospheric and climate impacts, appear
enigmatic relative to previously observed eruptions of comparable magnitude
in the modern era, and include relatively sulfur-poor gas emissions, a
significant stratospheric aerosol veil, and an unprecedented perturbation
of stratospheric water vapor. The eruption may thus represent a new
paradigm for explosive, shallow submarine volcanic activity and provides
new insights into the potential atmospheric and climate impacts of this
style of volcanism. For this interdisciplinary session we invite
contributions on diverse aspects of the HTHH eruption, including
phreatomagmatic eruption dynamics and the associated volcanic hazards,
plume modeling, satellite observations of the eruption and its products,
volcanic lightning analysis, and model simulations or observations of its
atmospheric impacts.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm22/prelim.cgi/Session/161566__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!Z-SnPOchbkVZfFEUJ4t77I5lz6wXDJjnnN9kFfV8JpeFJ1iCSJTiSQT_cpjB2hH6NNcnKcVnAwKs$

The abstract deadline is August 3.

Best regards,