Italian Association of Volcanology Rittmann Conference Session S05: Behind the scenes: advanced methodologies to unravel the architecture, dynamics and timescales of volcanic plumbing systems

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: Simone Costa <simone.costa@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear all,
We are glad to present you the session Session S05: Behind the scenes:
advanced methodologies to unravel the architecture, dynamics and timescales
of volcanic plumbing systems, which will be held at the Rittmann Conference
(Italian Association of Volcanology) in Catania, Italy from September 29 to
October 1, 2022

The session is open to contributions, with the deadline for
abstract submission on June 11th

Information can be found on the conference website (
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.conferenzarittmann.it__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!YEQe7LeavyLyk0a2GXK0apUDXMWhC2l8H7Lph15cbtRFVOpMtt2b-428pe_-pU1BghbJy_Drexw7UG_7$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.conferenzarittmann.it__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!aFlUsoiW4veb3ShAnnrGt-nsoHZ0rPzKvC-xn1ogwCk-tDV830Wt5JgdDVEluOy5WzT6mDuthkyLM5jtrpDUghgWtw$>
)

A brief session description is reported below.

We hope to see you in Catania

The Conveners:
Simone Costa* (Università di Pisa), Maurizio Petrelli (Università degli
Studi di Perugia), Marisa Giuffrida (Università di Catania), Gabriele
Lanzafame (Università di Catania), Andrea Cannata (Università di Catania)

corresponding: simone.costa@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Session details

Mechanisms prompting volcanic eruptions take place behind the scenes,
inside volcanic plumbing systems. The physical conditions of magmas and
plumbing system dynamics modulate the mineral phase stability,
crystallization and volatile degassing, which in turn affect the magma
rheology and mixing/assimilation processes. The advances in petrographic
(2D and 3D) and geochemical analyses, coupled with thermodynamic modelling,
diffusion chronometry and geophysical monitoring (e.g., seismology, ground
deformation and gravity measurements) unveil volcanic plumbing systems with
high spatial and temporal resolution. This session aims at collecting
innovative studies to develop more reliable conceptual models and modeling
tools to understand the dynamics and timescales of volcanic plumbing
systems, from magma storages at deep crustal levels to eruptions. In
detail, we welcome contributions that investigate and possibly unravel open
questions such as: How to identify dynamics and precursors for open- and
closed-systems behavior in plumbing systems? What are the timescales of pre
and syn-eruptive processes? Should we focus on the "last mile", or look at
deeper processes? How to reconstruct the architecture of plumbing systems?
We welcome contributions that integrate state-of-the-art petrochemical and
geophysical investigations, experimental petrology, volcanology, numerical
and thermodynamic modellings and data processing techniques based on
statistical methods and Machine Learning algorithms.

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1