Deadline March 1: Goldschmidt 2022 Session 5f - From source to surface: Characterizing magma generation and ascent

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: Maurizio Petrelli <maurizio.petrelli@xxxxxxxx>

Dear all,
The Goldschmidt 2022 abstract submission is approaching fast: *1 March 2022*
.
We would like to draw your attention to Session 5f:
*"From source to surface: Characterizing magma generation and ascent
processes from the rock record."*

Please submit your contribution using the following link:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://2022.goldschmidt.info/goldschmidt/2022/meetingapp.cgi/Session/3266__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!N6NGi3Sb-yMQtowRquWBOpLNjzb3lZ-HI_Ar-A_cZ7Gk-Aw_PCQbcij4whExh2M$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://2022.goldschmidt.info/goldschmidt/2022/meetingapp.cgi/Session/3266__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!JI9N-oQI74FLh8wyADv_MQIS8l5JKU_pFoYvkKOm9edxm4sm5AnAufM_O2V7vWE$>

Session description: To capture and describe the geochemical evolution of
magmatic systems we require analytical, experimental, and numerical
advances involving cross-disciplinary investigations in geochemistry,
petrology, volcanology, and numerical modeling. New developments in topics
such as mineral-melt partitioning, volatile behavior, and crystal growth,
lead to wide-ranging questions regarding magma generation and ascent. What
controls spatial and temporal variations in the genesis of primary magmas,
their initial compositional variations, and their modification by crustal
processing? How do magmas move, through percolation or fracture
propagation? What are the rates of magma ascent? How do melts avoid
trapping by ductile upper crustal mush zones? Are crystals dominantly of
antecrystic origin? Do magmatic volatiles drive magma ascent, and to what
degree do they influence ascent rates? We invite studies from all tectonic
settings (ocean ridges, ocean islands, subduction zones, back-arc basins,
petit-spots, intracontinental rifts, monogenetic volcanic fields), focusing
on geochemical recorders of magmatic histories. Approaches may include
analysis of crystals, melts, and melt inclusions, or other novel techniques.

ECS Keynote: *Gregor Weber* (University of Oxford)

We hope that you will all consider contributing to this session!

Sincerely,

Maurizio Petrelli (University of Perugia)
Michael Rowe (University of Auckland()
Julie Roberge (Instituto Politecnico Nacional, IPN)
Emily R. Johnson (USGS)

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2