Goldschmidt session 7c - Kinetics of formation of crystals from nanolites to megacrysts and their effects on magma properties, dynamics, and ore-forming potential

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

From: Francisco Caceres <francisco.caceres@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Aloha Colleagues,

We would like to direct your attention to our session at Goldschmidt 2022
that will be held in person between 10-15th July in Honolulu, Hawaiâ??i, as
well as online:

Session 7c â?? â??Kinetics of formation of crystals from nanolites to
megacrysts and their effects on magma properties, dynamics, and ore-forming
potentialâ??

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://2022.goldschmidt.info/goldschmidt/2022/meetingapp.cgi/Session/3080__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!P_Ntk5zhlJPoM6dmkP2_QOp35WV0F0xtGID0Kqymul5kMCoOSniMbZkoFsEQLHE$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://2022.goldschmidt.info/goldschmidt/2022/meetingapp.cgi/Session/3080__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!NTTwqa2IJ_5VSMHYR8UGmtxFuVQ38DiIwbpIMrr6L0PeNjY2GK-qTmI_ATLkMWQ$>

Works using both traditional and novel methods to investigate
crystallization kinetics and their effects on magma properties, dynamics,
and mineralization potential are equally welcome. We are accepting both
oral and poster presentations.

Abstract submission is already open until 1st March and we invite you to
submit your abstract to our session.

We will have Dr. Danilo Di Genova (Uni. Bayreuth) as our keynote speaker,
as well as Dr. Amanda Lindoo (U. of Bristol) and Dr. Alan Whittington (U.
of Texas, San Antonio) as inviter speakers.

We are looking forward to receiving your abstracts and seeing you at
Goldschmidt!

Francisco Cáceres (LMU Munich)

Monika Rusiecka  (Université d'Orléans)

Stephan Kolzenburg (University at Buffalo)

Mona Sirbescu (Central Michigan University)

Session description:

Crystals are present in all magmas, either as nanolites, microlites,
phenocrysts, or even meter-sized crystals in pegmatites, and, commonly, as
a coexisting combination of several sizes. The type, size, shape,
distribution, abundance, and rates at which crystals grow can influence
many aspects of magma properties and dynamics such as melt chemistry and
solubility, melt and bulk magma viscosity, degassing processes, timescales
of magma cooling or heating, and magma ascent and emplacement.
Consequently, the kinetics of crystal nucleation and growth do not only
influence the fabric of igneous rocks, but may also determine the fate of
magmas in the Earthâ??s crust, their ore-forming potential, and their
potential to remain in the subsurface or reach the surface and generate
effusive or explosive volcanic eruptions.

We welcome contributions related to any aspect of kinetics of crystal
nucleation, growth, regrowth, equilibration and dissolution in magma, as
well as the effects of crystallization processes on magma properties and
associated ore-body development. We encourage the submission of research
including one or multiple approaches, such as modeling, experimental, and
field-based studies of mineral textures, compositional and isotopic zoning,
fluid and melt inclusions, etc. Contributions may address the
interdependencies between crystallization and the melt and bulk rock/magma
properties and processes, such as differentiation, immiscibility, redox
state, diffusion and reactive transport, degassing/vesiculation and
outgassing, viscosity changes, additional crystallization, and ore-forming
processes, among others. Works using both traditional and novel methods to