IAVCEI VIPS commission webinar series

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: Chiara Montagna <chiara.montagna@xxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

The IAVCEI commission on Volcanic and Igneous Plumbing Systems (VIPS)
organizes a virtual seminar series focusing on different aspects and
methodologies that aim at unraveling magma storage and transport processes
in the broadest sense. Our next host is *Sam Poppe*,
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://sampoppevolcano.wixsite.com/sampoppe__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!IGQjUdOlC2aW3sNdKebJtEz_9n3L9DTdBy0DZAJMd8SLFxn7lEQlr1LPl9c4m-I$>
from
Space Research Center - Polish Academy of Science, on *December 3* at* 11am
CET*.

*How can we reconcile models with geology? Deformation modes induced by
magma intrusion in planetary crust*An impressive range of analytical and
numerical models of volcano deformation is available to volcano monitoring
efforts. Whereas most geodetic models assume elastic host rock rheology,
recent geological and geophysical observations have stressed the role â??
sometimes even dominance â?? of complex, non-elastic deformation during the
evolution of propagating magma fronts. I will demonstrate how combinations
of geological observations with laboratory experiments and inversion models
help understanding the context of non-elastic deformation but also open a
debate for our community: does local non-elastic deformation affect broad
deformation signals at active volcanoes enough to care?

To attend the webinar, register here
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSevzT81j1xWTVG2WVJknDziQCWfkJBejaNgasR_OXFVCvogJA/viewform?usp=sf_link__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!IGQjUdOlC2aW3sNdKebJtEz_9n3L9DTdBy0DZAJMd8SLFxn7lEQlr1LPJiVyNJQ$>.
Come one, come all!

For more information the seminar series and other commission matters, as
well as to sign up as members, please visit our website
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://vipscommission.org__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!OTBXBHk5nVfS1MGJXgChEeg7jQ4m4tLl_8k04UTDTstjmOueGibfYWrjTPUYgDA$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://vipscommission.org__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!IGQjUdOlC2aW3sNdKebJtEz_9n3L9DTdBy0DZAJMd8SLFxn7lEQlr1LPaS8AuPw$>
.

Best wishes from the VIPS commission