(New webinar format - see link) COMET+ Webinar, 29 September, 2 PM UK time: Dr Thomas Aubry, University of Cambridge

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

From: Chris Rollins <J.C.Rollins@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear all,

Due to a technical snag with the webinar format, we are recasting Dr Thomas
Aubry's 29 September COMET+ webinar as a Zoom meeting (with password and
waiting room). Please see the link below (note the password). We hope you
will join us at 2 PM UK time tomorrow for what promises to be a fascinating
talk!

COMET+ Webinar: Dr Thomas Aubry, Univ Cambridge: 29 Sept 2021, 2 PM UK:
"Impacts of climate change on the stratospheric volcanic sulfate aerosol
lifecycle and radiative forcing from tropical eruptions"

Time: Sep 29, 2021 02:00 PM London

Join Zoom Meeting

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://universityofleeds.zoom.us/j/81717094544?pwd=dzhOa3VoWDJnSEc2eVc2ZnVXMEZmdz09__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!LYepX56n2aOtcN-oNWhHvrmlX_U3ZJFU9B53G2t1emlroZVN4hp5L7g1A6eDhsg$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://universityofleeds.zoom.us/j/81717094544?pwd=dzhOa3VoWDJnSEc2eVc2ZnVXMEZmdz09__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!NtJJiotTFyy9jyJqy7mMYLgwxu6xz4-NK_nwfSsVAqm_g-O1QGRGhVr_NZpHGuw$>

Meeting ID: 817 1709 4544

Passcode: q8aR*V

Abstract:

Whereas the impact of volcanic eruption on climate is a mainstream research
topic, how climate change will alter volcanic processes remains largely
understudied despite rapid changes in the Earth System driven by
anthropogenic activities. In particular, the impacts of climate change on
the stratospheric volcanic sulfate aerosol lifecycle and radiative forcing
remains unexplored. Combining an eruptive column model with an
aerosol-climate model, I will show that the stratospheric aerosol optical
depth perturbation from frequent moderate-magnitude tropical eruptions
(e.g. Nabro 2011) could be reduced by 75% in a high-end warming scenario
compared to today, a consequence of future tropopause height rise and
unchanged eruptive column height. In contrast, global-mean radiative
forcing, stratospheric warming and surface cooling from infrequent
large-magnitude tropical eruptions (e.g. Mt. Pinatubo 1991) is projected to
increase by 30%, 52 and 15% in the future, respectively. These changes are
driven by an aerosol size decrease, mainly caused by the acceleration of
the Brewer-Dobson circulation, and an increase in eruptive column height.
Quantifying changes in both eruptive column dynamics and aerosol lifecycle
is therefore key to assessing the climate response to future eruptions. I
will discuss the limitations of models used to investigate climate-volcano
feedbacks and ongoing validation efforts. Last, I will discuss how
climate-volcano feedbacks affecting different volcanic processes, such as
those related to deglaciation and eruption frequency, could combine with
feedbacks related to the sulfate aerosol lifecycle to shape future volcanic
influences on climate.

Join Zoom Meeting

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://universityofleeds.zoom.us/j/81717094544?pwd=dzhOa3VoWDJnSEc2eVc2ZnVXMEZmdz09__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!LYepX56n2aOtcN-oNWhHvrmlX_U3ZJFU9B53G2t1emlroZVN4hp5L7g1A6eDhsg$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://universityofleeds.zoom.us/j/81717094544?pwd=dzhOa3VoWDJnSEc2eVc2ZnVXMEZmdz09__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!NtJJiotTFyy9jyJqy7mMYLgwxu6xz4-NK_nwfSsVAqm_g-O1QGRGhVr_NZpHGuw$>