AGU Session V007: ‘Explosive or effusive? What controls eruptive style and how can we forecast it?’

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: Popa  Razvan-Gabriel <razvan.popa@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

Being able to better understand the processes leading to changes in
eruptive styles, and to forecast eruptive behaviour are among the main
challenges of volcanology. We would like to invite you to share your work
and insights with us, during a dedicated session at AGU, which will be held
fully online. Please find the description below, including a direct link.
The abstract submission deadline is the 4th of August.

We are looking forward to seeing you there!

Mike, Razvan, Jackie and Atsushi

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm21/prelim.cgi/Session/125333__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!JirL8lVHAnhS1hjnBvxz2oivI0bC3dDhiVj9z1Wlt-ntC_hgTtsDwDUFRgCai34$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm21/prelim.cgi/Session/125333__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!Jkcw0wcEsoiJ2BBdMPPZZ8obvS2XURvOJ3Cb6cq_kER7-dcL5ashSD4kbgDJUB0$>

Session V007: â??Explosive or effusive? What controls eruptive style and how
can we forecast it?â??

Recent explosive and effusive eruptions have underscored the importance of
understanding the controls on eruptive style, so that we can improve
forecasting of eruption explosivity. This fundamental problem currently
relies upon using the past record of the particular volcano in question to
chart the tendency for similar eruptive behavior in the future, but also on
identifying general trends that could be applicable more broadly. It is
thus integral to understand factors from magmatic storage to the conduit
that control whether a volcano erupts effusively or explosively, and then
integrate this information into models that provide realistic eruption
scenarios. We welcome multi-disciplinary studies using rock mechanical and
petrological experiments, analytical chemistry, and monitoring data, along
with numerical simulations of eruptive processes and statistical analysis,
to understand the controls on the style of volcanism. Especially relevant
is research which has directly used monitoring data to predict the style of
eruptions.

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1