[AGU 2021] session V017: Properties of magmas: experiments, theories, models, and application to geochemistry and volcanology

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

From: Charles LE LOSQ <lelosq@xxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

We are organizing the session V017 entitled "Properties of magmas:
experiments, theories, models, and application to geochemistry and
volcanology" for the next AGU 2021 Fall Meeting, December 13-17, New
Orleans, USA.

This session will present the latest research about the structural,
thermodynamic and dynamic properties of magmas that played a key role in
shaping the Earth geological history. The links between those properties
influence, for instance, how silicate melt composition affects the
dynamics of volcanic eruptions, or the mobility of deep melts from the
mantle to the Earth surface. Experimental and theoretical (both
classical and ab initio) studies provide critical insights into such
links. Recent advances in machine learning-based modelling also provide
a new perspective on this fundamental problem. Practical applications
arise, like models of lava flows embedding complex rheological
calculations. This session will describe the current state-of-the-art
regarding structural, thermodynamic and dynamic properties of magmas and
their influence on geochemical and volcanological processes, including
volatile transport, magma fragmentation and element partitioning.

We welcome contributions from experimental, numerical and theoretical
studies, including machine learning or molecular dynamics. Studies
making the links with volcanological and geochemical problems are
encouraged.

You can submit your abstract here (select session V017) :
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.agu.org/Fall-Meeting/Pages/Present/Abstracts__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!PwsNWxMn07c4w7ba1YRjIekHhxnSGjFiZWKLio97e2XVAfbRy7U6uy5gfU4rhaE$

We look forward to see you next December!

Sincerely yours,

The session conveners,

Charles Le Losq, IPGP, France, lelosq@xxxxxxx

Oryaëlle Chevrel, LMV, France, oryaelle.chevrel@xxxxxx