Biography of Volcanologist David A. Johnston

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

From: Melanie Holmes <holmesauthor11@xxxxxxxxx>

Dear Volcanology Community,

On the 39th anniversary of the eruption of Mount St. Helens, the University
of Illinois Press published the biography of Dr. David A. Johnston, who
died in the 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens. I am his biographer. Since
the book's release, many kind people have reviewed the book. The National
Association of Geoscience Teachers gave it high marks for its ability to
relay -- in layman's terms -- information about this important science.

David was from the Chicago area, as am I. When I speak to groups about the
book, I point out that, even though Midwesterners do not have a volcano in
their backyard, it is important for them to have a grasp of volcanology.
Because of White Island. Because of the Icelandic volcano that closed air
space in Europe. Because of the commercial jetliner that lost its 4 engines
after flying through an ash cloud of Redoubt in Alaska. Most of all,
because if people do not understand a science, they may not support funding
that supports crucial monitoring activities.

When former State Geologist for Oregon, Vicki McConnell, read the
manuscript, she said it was like reading about the making of the man and
the mountain.
When an anonymous Peer Reviewer (a newly minted volcanologist) read the
manuscript, they said, "I wish I could have read this when I was pursuing
my graduate degree."

David was not perfect. Heroes never are. To my knowledge, and I've asked,
there is not another true biography of a volcanologist. Scientists toil in
obscurity unless or until something big happens. Anthony Fauci is now a
household name in America. With David, people know of his "dynamite keg
with its fuse lit" comment. They know if his, "This is it!" exclamation.
But very few know about the 30 years that came before May 18, 1980, the day
of the eruption.

2020 was to be the big year for this book -- the 40th anniversary. Many
events were planned at the mountain. All was, necessarily, cancelled. Thank
you for allowing me to introduce you to this man's story. The book, *A Hero
on Mount St. Helens: The Life and Legacy of David A. Johnston*, is
available at the *University of Illinois Press* website, which is the
preferred site versus Amazon (who amassed another few billion dollars
during the pandemic). But yes, it is also on Amazon. Thank you for your
time.

With respectful regards,
Melanie Holmes
Author, Speaker, Educator
Recipient of Global Media Award 2014 from the Population Institute,
Washington, D.C.

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3