A database of volcanic emissions of SO2 in the atmosphere from the global NOVAC collaboration

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: Santiago Arellano <santiago.arellano@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

The NOVAC <https://novac-community.org/> (Network for Observation of
Volcanic and Atmospheric Change) is a global collaboration of volcano
observatories and research institutions for monitoring of volcanic gas
emissions using ground-based remote sensing.

We are pleased to present a detailed database of SO2 emission, plume
location and meteorological conditions, derived from measurements conducted
during the period 2005-2016 at 32 volcanoes in NOVAC. The database is
hosted at https://novac.chalmers.se/.

Data presented in this database is to a large extent complementary to data
obtained by space-based sensors during the same period, and indicates the
magnitude and natural variability of degassing observed at a daily temporal
scale.

These data are freely accessible but we expect that proper credit is given
to volcano observatories in case of scientific use, as indicated in our Data
Use Agreement <https://novac.chalmers.se/datauseagreement>.

An article describing and analyzing these data was published by the
collaboration (Arellano et al., 2021
<https://essd.copernicus.org/articles/13/1167/2021/essd-13-1167-2021.html>).

Kind Regards,

The NOVAC collaboration