IAVCEI VIPS commission inaugural webinar

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

From: Chiara Montagna <chiara.montagna@xxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

The IAVCEI commission on Volcanic and Igneous Plumbing Systems (VIPS) is
revamping and we are in the process of launching a new website (more
details here soon!). To start off, we are inviting the community to an
inaugural talk by Jon Blundy
<https://www.earth.ox.ac.uk/people/prof-jon-blundy/> from the University of
Oxford. The talk is scheduled for *January 13 at 3 PM CET*.

*From volcanoes to Green Mining: the implications of transcrustal magmatic
systems*
Almost all non-ferrous metal resources derive ultimately from magmatic
processes; their formation requires an holistic understanding of how
magmatic systems operate at a crustal scale. Traditional petrological
concepts, such as large, shallow, open-system magma chambers, have come
under scrutiny recently from the standpoint of petrology, geochronology,
geochemistry and geophysics. In this talk I will summarise new developments
in our understanding of magmatic systems, and discuss implications for a
range of magmatic phenomena from the heights of volcanoes to crustal
structure to new opportunities for metal extraction.

To attend the webinar, register at
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1l8t7RjEHPisvdl6KRSD67jEez_Av1Fzoa6-CU_DtnBg/edit

Come one, come all!

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5