vEGU21: [EOS 5.2] The evolving open-science landscape in geosciences

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

From: J Farquharson <jifarq89@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

Are you working towards open science? We invite you to share your
Open-Data, Open-Access, Open-Source initiatives in the EGU #vEGU21 session
EOS5.2: "The evolving open-science landscape in geosciences" <
https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU21/session/40091>. Remember, EOS
sessions donâ??t count towards the 1 abstract limit! The session will be
globally accessible, due to the online format, and we invite you all from
around the world to contribute to this major opportunity to share and
discuss.

The abstract deadline is *13 January 2021 at 13:00 CET*, although edits can
be made after that time.

SESSION DETAILS:
In recent years, the geoscience community has been making strides towards
making our science more open, inclusive, and accessible, driven both by
individual- or community-led initiatives and by broader-scale regulatory
changes (such as the launch of Plan S in 2018). Open-source software and
accessible codebases are becoming the norm in many disciplines. Open online
collaboration resources (such as GitHub, VHub, etc.) are becoming
increasingly popular amongst scientists, being used well beyond their
initial purpose. The open-access publishing landscape has been changing
too: several geoscience journals have defined data availability policies,
and many publishers have introduced green and gold open-access options to
their journal collections. Pre-print servers and grassroots diamond
open-access journals are changing the readiness with which scholarly
content can be accessed beyond the traditional paywall model. In the
ecosystem of open access solutionsâ??green, gold, diamond, pre-printâ??it
remains unclear which model(s) have the best chance at bridging the gap
between publishers and the demands for openness from our research
communities.

This session is designed to gain a community overview of the current
open-science landscape and how this is expected to evolve in the future.
This may include software and tools for assisting open research, open
science dissemination platforms (such as pre-print servers and journals),
the teams driving the development of open-science resources and practices ,
and discussion on the regulatory moves towards standardising open access in
the scientific community and what those policies mean in practice.

We invite contributions from researchers, publishers, developers, and
others working towards openness, accessibility, and inclusivity in
geoscience.

Yours sincerely,
Jamie Farquharson, Alex Kushnir, Leo Uieda, and Fabian Wadsworth

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

Volcano Listserv is a collaborative venture among Arizona State University
(ASU), Portland State University (PSU), the Global Volcanism Program (GVP)
of the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of Natural History, and
the International Association for Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth's
Interior (IAVCEI).

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/

PSU - http://pdx.edu/

GVP - http://www.volcano.si.edu/

IAVCEI - https://www.iavceivolcano.org/

signoff volcano

to: listserv@xxxxxxx, or write to: volcano-request@xxxxxxx.

volcano@xxxxxxx.  Please do not send attachments.

End of Volcano Digest - 19 Dec 2020 to 29 Dec 2020 (#2020-123)