EGU 2021 Session NH2.2: Tephrostratigraphy on regional and global scale

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: "Francesca Forni (Dr)" <fforni@xxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to invite you to submit an abstract to our EGU 2021 session
NH2.2  â??Tephrostratigraphy on regional and global scaleâ?? (
https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU21/session/38983)

This session will highlight the importance and potential of
tephrostratigraphy to reconstruct the eruptive histories on a regional or
inter-regional scale. The identification and correlation of tephra layers
enable reconstruction of the number, timing and magnitude of eruptions that
have affected a given region. Near-source eruption records are often patchy
or incomplete over extended timescales owing to factors such as burial,
erosion and weathering. This under-reporting of explosive volcanism is
clearly verified by analysis of global eruption databases, while this
under-representation is common with low-to-mid intensity eruptions, even
the most highly explosive eruptions are seemingly represented in regional
eruption records. However, a better understanding of the frequency and
distribution of explosive eruptions is key to reconstruct the evolution of
a volcanic region and therefore to better assess potential hazards on a
regional and even global scale. We seek contributions that: 1) aim to close
this gap of knowledge by using stratigraphic, geochemical and petrographic
approaches; 2) work on and/or combine different kinds of archives such as
marine, lake and peat sediments, as well as on-land and ice-core records to
improve the regional tephrostratigraphy and 3) use long-term regional
tephrostratigraphic records as a tool in interdisciplinary studies.

The EGU 2021 conference (19-30 April 2021) will be fully online (vEGU21
https://www.egu21.eu/).

The deadline for abstract submissions is the 13th of January 2021 at 13:00
CET.

All the best,

Session conveners:

Francesca Forni (fforni@xxxxxxxxxx)