Earth Institute Postdoctoral Diversity Fellowship

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

From: Einat Lev <einatlev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> and

From: Alex Halliday Director <AlexHallidayDirector@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Volcano list members,

Please find below an exciting announcement for the establishment of a new
postdoctoral fellowship at the Earth Institute at Columbia University. This
fellowship aims to increase the participation of scholars from minority
groups in geoscience in particular, and STEM fields in general. The
application period will begin on August 24th and stay open for at least 30
days.

I encourage interested candidates and referring scholars to look into this
opportunity, the Earth Institute and Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, and
Columbia University. I also want to note that volcanology is an emerging
discipline at Columbia, and has been generating a lot of attention and
enthusiasm.

All the best,
Einat Lev

Dear Colleagues,

I am pleased to announce a new Diversity Fellowship for the Earth
Instituteâ??s Postdoctoral Research program. This fellowship is being funded
by the Earth Institute as part of our commitment to increase the number of
minority scholars in our Columbia community. The new Earth Institute
Postdoctoral Diversity Fellowship will fully fund an appointment for one
incoming scholar for two year positions, starting in September 2021.

This new Diversity Fellowship will be the second of its kind â?? the first
being the Kelley A. Hill Fellowship, which was created through a generous
bequest in 2019. We are adding a second fully funded diversity fellowship
using institutional funding because we recognize the importance of having a
diverse postdoctoral community. Diversity should of course be a fundamental
tenet of society. However, the Earth Institute community will also be
enriched by the participation of individuals reflecting diverse
sociocultural identities, perspectives, and experiences. This is
particularly important if we are concerned to engage beyond the academic
world and partner with diverse communities and cultures, as is necessary in
the study of sustainability and climate. These enhanced resources represent
a critical step towards strengthening the intellectual fabric of the
Institute. To learn more about the Earth Instituteâ??s DE&I work, please
visit our website here <https://www.earth.columbia.edu/articles/view/3369>.

The Diversity Fellowships seek to promote the recruitment of outstanding
postdoctoral scholars from underrepresented groups, to more closely reflect
the composition of the national pool of qualified candidates. The program
is specifically to encourage applications from promising scholars from
historically underrepresented groups, namely: Blacks/African-Americans;
Latinx; Native Americans/Alaska Natives; persons having origins in any of
the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, or Samoa.

The principal selection criteria are: educational and professional merit;
relevance and strength of research proposal; quality of recommendations;
relevance of proposed research to the Earth Instituteâ??s mission; and
current needs and priorities of the Earth Institute. Candidates must
indicate their interest in the fellowship on their application to the Earth
Institute Postdoctoral Research program.

Applications to the Earth Institute Postdoctoral program, and the Diversity
Fellowship, will open on *August 24, 2020*. We will share another
announcement when the application opens. In the meantime, I hope that you
will share this news with your networks and help our efforts to recruit
diverse scholars.

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4