AGU Session V029: What Can Pyroclasts Tell Us?

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: "Andrews, Benjamin" <AndrewsB@xxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

On behalf of my co-conveners I encourage your participation in AGU Session
V029: What Can Pyroclasts Tell Us?
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm20/prelim.cgi/Session/105810

Pyroclasts are fragments of magma generated during volcanic eruptions and
they capture information on otherwise unobservable processes that control
those eruptions. Increasingly refined analyses are used to investigate
physical and chemical properties of pyroclasts to determine 1) the state of
magma and its dynamic evolution in the conduit, 2) the response of magma to
deformation, 3) the dynamics of particle ejection, transport, and
deposition. When combined with sophisticated experiments and models, those
analyses improve our comprehension of volcanic phenomena and the processes
driving magma migration and fragmentation, transport dynamics through the
atmosphere or along the ground, and the impact of eruptions on the
environment. In this session we will explore the forefront of analysis and
interpretation of pyroclasts and their deposits. This session has evolved
over the past decade to become inclusive of nearly all topics within
physical volcanology. To that end, we welcome contributions from field and
experimental volcanology, monitoring and computational modeling to build
dialogue between diverse scientists about how best to decipher volcanic
eruptions using pyroclasts and/or visual observations of eruptions.

The invited presenters in this session are Natalia Pardo (Universidad de
Los Andes) and Pablo Forte (Universidad de Buenos Aires).

Additional information about the AGU Fall Meeting, including registration
rates and presentation formats, can be found at:
https://www.agu.org/fall-meeting

Conveners:
Ben Andrews
Ulli Kueppers