Gold2020 Session 05m "Magma on the Move: Influence of Rheology on Igneous Processes on Earth and Beyond"

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

From: Rebecca DeGraffenried <rdegraff@xxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to Goldschmidt 2020 session 05m "*Magma
on the Move: Influence of Rheology on Igneous Processes on Earth and Beyond*".
A major topic our community strives to address is the influence of fluid
rheology on igneous processes, ranging from magma transport in the
subsurface to conduit flow to lava behavior on the Earth's surface.
Additionally, rheology of erupted fluids on other celestial bodies is an
active area of research. Thus, we welcome submissions on these topics, and
we hope to receive a broad range of submissions that represent the scope of
techniques used to tackle these topics. Please see below for additional
session details.

*Invited Speaker*:
Edward Llewellin (Durham University)

*Session Description*:
The rheological behavior of magma exerts an important control on igneous
processes, including separation of liquid from crystal mush, magma pooling
and transport in the subsurface, conduit ascent dynamics, and whether magma
erupts at the surface as pyroclasts or flowing lava. Rheological properties
can change dramatically through space and time in response to changes in
magma temperature and composition, and to processes such as crystallization
and vesiculation. Many of these factors have non-linear effects, and in
concert they can potentially trigger abrupt transitions between brittle and
ductile behavior. External factors also matter; for example gravity,
ambient temperature, and lava composition may all be different elsewhere in
the solar system. Additionally, the stress field can orient particles and
deform vesicles, changing the apparent viscosity as a function of time. All
of these inter-dependent factors make modeling and/or predicting the
movement of magma a complex challenge. However, innovations in
computational and experimental techniques, as well as recent developments
in monitoring and surface imaging at active volcanoes, have greatly
improved our capacity to quantify factors that influence rheology. This
session aims to synthesize various perspectives on the study of magma
rheology and its influence on shallow-to-surface igneous processes on Earth
and elsewhere in the solar system. We welcome contributions that utilize
analog materials, high pressure/temperature experiments, analytical or
numerical modeling, field observations, or newly developed methods. Studies
that integrate various techniques or are directly relevant to Hawaiian
volcanoes are particularly welcome.

*Session Conveners*:
Rebecca deGraffenried (University of Hawaii at Manoa), Atsuko Namiki
(Hiroshima University), and Alan Whittington (University of Texas at San
Antonio)

Abstract submission is currently open and will close on February 14th.

We look forward to seeing you in beautiful Honolulu!

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/
PSU - http://pdx.edu/
GVP - http://www.volcano.si.edu/