"A Hero on Mount St. Helens: The Life & Legacy of David A. Johnston"

6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6

From: Melanie Holmes <holmesauthor11@xxxxxxxxx>

When I speak in venues close to home (Chicago, IL, USA), I ask, â??Why should
Midwesterners care about volcanology?â?? While no volcano lurks in my
backyard, it is indeed important for all of earthâ??s denizens to grasp the
importance. Budgets (and sometimes lives) are built and broken on what the
public understands or lacks in comprehension. When I set out to write the
first-ever biography of a volcanologist, I didnâ??t realize the potential
outcome could be that young and old, here and there, could perhaps grasp a
science that is largely esoteric. David Johnston is the only USGS team
member to have died in an eruption. Harry Glicken joins him as the only
other American volcanologist to have died in an eruption. After Galeras,
Baxter and Gresham outlined ways to keep volcanologists (and tourists) safe
near active volcanoes. This book, the one about Davidâ??s formation as a boy,
a man, a scientist, is more than a book about science. It is that. But it
is also a book about people who put their lives in harmâ??s way for the sake
of public safety. People who toil in obscurity, unless that is, they die,
as David did on May 18, 1980.

As one volcanologist told me after she read an advance copy of Davidâ??s
book, it breaks down the science and the hazards in a way that lay people
can understand. Itâ??s not written for experts, though experts contributed
and have endorsed it. Itâ??s not written for scientists, though science is an
important overarching theme; including the Johnston familyâ??s personal
experiences that helped to form Davidâ??s goals and outlook in life. This
book, according to a recent review written for the Association of College &
Research Librariesâ?? (a division of the American Library Association) Choice
magazine, is â??highly recommended for all readership levels.â??

The book came out last May 2019 in conjunction with the eruptionâ??s
39th anniversary.
I flew to the mountain so that I could stand in the place where David died
and talk about how he lived. This book feels important; it is an honor to
have put words to the story of a volcanologist.

Title: *A Hero on Mount St. Helens: The Life & Legacy of David A. Johnston*

Release date: May 18, 2019

Publisher: University of Illinois Press

Link to UIP catalog:
https://www.press.uillinois.edu/books/catalog/44tmq5nw9780252084317.html (note,
it is also on Amazon, there is Ebook option also)

6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/
PSU - http://pdx.edu/
GVP - http://www.volcano.si.edu/