Cities on Volcanoes: Culture, Ethics and Religion in Disaster Mitigation and Recovery

8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8

From: Bob White <rsw1@xxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues

We would like to invite you to contribute to a session being convened by
two Faraday staff, Bob White and Roger Abbott  on 'Culture, Ethics and
Religion in Disaster Mitigation and Recovery'
(https://pcoconvin.eventsair.com/volcanoes11/session03#S36) at the
upcoming 'Cities on Volcanoes' conference taking place at Heraklion,
Crete, 23-27 May 2020. Abstract submission is open from now until *25
January 2020*

There is an increasing recognition that it is important to take account
of the cultural and religious practices and beliefs of populations at
risk from volcanic disasters when planning for mitigation, and emergency
response to crises. Whilst we recognise that there have been encouraging
signs of advancement in this recognition recently, we believe there is
still room for improvement, so that a far more efficient delivery of aid
results and mitigation strategies are owned by the local population.
Local communities should be more involved in consultations concerning
what aid is required and also in forming mitigation strategies that
these communities can legitimately claim ownership of, so that they feel
empowered by them. This session will explore how scientific knowledge
can be combined with an understanding of the local cultural and
religious practices in disaster mitigation, preparation, emergency
response and recovery. We welcome contributions from physical and social
scientists, ethicists, ethnographers, anthropologists and aid workers
with case studies and examples from a wide range of religious and
cultural settings. Multidisciplinary collaboration between science,
culture and religion will benefit emergency response and the affected
communities. We welcome talks on how local religious and cultural
beliefs affect the way that volcanoes are perceived by the public
community, and on religious and cultural influences on hazard perception
and disaster mitigation. We also welcome examples of the role of
religion and faith communities in developing local emergency response
protocols and practices.

Convenors:

Prof Robert S. White,  rsw1@xxxxxxxxx
Dept Earth Sciences, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, United Kingdom

Dr Roger Abbott  rpa24@xxxxxxxxx
Faraday Institute for Science and Religion, Cambridge, United Kingdom

Dr Amy Donovan   ard31@xxxxxxxxx
Dept of Geography, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, United Kingdom

8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/
PSU - http://pdx.edu/
GVP - http://www.volcano.si.edu/