Call for abstracts COV11: S3.9 "Probabilistic volcanic hazard assessment: from numerical modeling to benefits for society"

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: Silvia Massaro <silvia.massaro@xxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

we would like to invite you to submit an abstract the session S3.9
"Probabilistic
volcanic hazard assessment: from numerical modeling to benefits for society"
at the next COV-11 that will be held in Crete from 23 to 27 May 2020,
(*https://pcoconvin.eventsair.com/volcanoes11/abstracts
<https://pcoconvin.eventsair.com/volcanoes11/abstracts>*).
Here you can find the session's description:
"In the last decades, the study of volcanic hazard in a probabilistic
framework has become one of the most rapidly developing topics in
volcanology, but also in decision making and education, in particular for
risk mitigation issues. A number of tools (either methodological or
numerical) have been developed to help scientists apply quantitative
methods in different volcanic settings.
Of paramount importance is then quantifying uncertainties (both aleatory,
which reflects the intrinsic natural variability of eruptive processes, and
epistemic uncertainty, due to our limited knowledge on such processes). In
this scenario, numerical models can reproduce volcanic processes under
different conditions and their impacts over a wide range of spatial and
temporal scales, hence assisting a more focused use of sound statistical
methods to assess volcanic hazards (e.g. sector collapses, lahars,
pyroclastic flows, debris flows, lava flows, ballistic dispersal, gas
dispersal).
This session aims to collect contributions from numerical modeling to the
evaluation of volcanic hazards through probabilistic techniques in order to
highlight their applications in long- and short-term PVHA.

Since civil protection and researches have been focused on the public's
understanding of volcanic hazards, particular attention should be paid to
education programs. Therefore, we also encourage contributions that discuss
applications of PVHA for education and civil protection purposes."
We look forward to meeting lots of you in Crete!

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/
PSU - http://pdx.edu/
GVP - http://www.volcano.si.edu/