AGU 2019 Fall Meeting Session V033: Minerals, Melts, Fluids, and Mixtures: Magmatic Processes As Told by Inclusions

11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11

From: Ayla Pamukcu <apamukcu@xxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

Please consider submitting an abstract to our AGU 2019 Fall Meeting Session
- V033: Minerals, Melts, Fluids, and Mixtures: Magmatic Processes As Told
by Inclusions. We look forward to a session discussing a wide range of
topics and we particularly encourage contributions from early-career
scientists.

The deadline for abstract submission is July 31st. Abstracts can be
submitted for this session here:
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm19/prelim.cgi/Session/81287

Please see below for additional details about this session.

Session Description:
V033 - Minerals, Melts, Fluids, and Mixtures: Magmatic Processes As Told by
Inclusions

Our inability to directly observe magmas in the subsurface presents
challenges to developing physical and chemical models for volcanic systems.
Melt, fluid, and mineral inclusions in crystals are key resources for
exploring magmatic processes and conditions not recorded in other features
of igneous rocks, such as field relations, matrix glass, and whole rock
geochemistry. For example, melt and fluid inclusions record pre-eruptive
melt compositions, magma storage conditions, residence times, magma ascent
rates, volatile exsolution and degassing behavior of melts. Inclusions also
provide information about crystallization and fluid immiscibility. Chemical
gradients in and around melt inclusions record the timescales of eruption.
The elastic properties of mineral inclusions can provide information about
melt decompression during ascent. In this session, we invite inclusionists
of all kinds to discuss recent research and applications of inclusions to
gain information about magmatic processes and conditions from melt
generation to eruption.

Invited Speakers:
Eniko Bali (University of Iceland)
Omar Bartoli (University of Padova)

Session Conveners:
Ayla Pamukcu (WHOI)
Lowell Moore (Virginia Tech)
Matthew Steele-McInnis (University of Alberta)

11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/
PSU - http://pdx.edu/
GVP - http://www.volcano.si.edu/