VOLCANO: AGU 2016. session: magmas, subduction zones, melt inclusions

AGU 2016. session: magmas, subduction zones, melt inclusions
From: "Esposito, Rosario" <r.esposito@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear lovers of volcanoes, magmas, volatiles and recycling,

We are hosting a session in the next AGU fall meeting titled “Volatile contents of magmas associated to subduction zone: a melt inclusion perspective”.

We encourage you to participate and to contribute to this session.

On behalf of conveners,

Rosario

Session Title:

Volatile contents of magmas associated to subduction zone: a melt inclusion perspective

Session Description:

Understanding the volatile contents of magmas produced at the active margins is fundamental to understand the geological cycle of H2O, CO2 and other volatiles. Key questions include how much of the volatiles recycled from the slabs are returned to the atmosphere and how much of the same volatiles are stored in the Earth crust? What is the depth of degassing and how does it influence eruption and crystallization? What are the volatile contents of undegassed melts? Melt inclusions are widely used to understand the volatile content of magmas associated to subduction zones. However, the volatile record contained in melt inclusions is challenging to interpret, due to open system behavior, ambiguities about phase relations at time of trapping, and vapor bubble formation. We invite contributions aimed at advancing our interpretations of the volatile contents of melt inclusions in subduction zone magmas, and using them to answer questions about volatiles in magmas

Conveners:

Maria Luce Frezzotti, Craig E. Manning, and Rosario Esposito

Invited researchers:

Terry Plank and Paul Wallace

Session ID#: 13351

Primary Section/Focus Group: Volcanology, Geochemistry and Petrology