VOLCANO: AGU 2016. Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) in the Geosciences (NH021)

AGU 2016. Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) in the Geosciences (NH021)
From: Peter Webley <pwwebley@xxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to announce the session: "Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) in the Geosciences (NH021)“ at the 2016 Fall AGU meeting
, San Francisco, 12-16 Dec, 2016. We invite you to submit an abstract to our session and the submission deadline is 3 August 2016, 11:59 P.M. EDT.

The session description is:

Unmanned aerial systems (UAS) are increasingly being used to expand our ability to observe
Earth system processes and make measurements not previously possible. Example applications include tracking volcanic gases to mapping the extent of forest fires and from monitoring Earth systems to measuring vegetation health with high spatial and temporal resolution. The different types of UAS available are growing rapidly providing access to small scale systems for short-term rapid response data collection to larger UAS for longer-term continuous monitoring. The aim of this session is to bring together the geoscience community to present on the newest science, systems, payloads, and research being performed. We invite contributions from across the AGU focus groups including those who develop and deploy UAS's along with those researchers who use UAS data in their research. The session will instigate discussions between the AGU focus-areas and lead to increased cross-disciplinary research and science-transfer across natural hazard sciences.

Primary Convener:
Peter W. Webley (Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska Fairbanks)

Co-conveners:
David C. Pieri (Earth Surface Science Group, Jet Propulsion Laboratory)
Matthew M. Fladeland (Airborne Science Office, NASA Ames Research Center)

Alexander Braun (Dept. of Geological Sciences and Geological Engineering, Queen's University)

https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm16/preliminaryview.cgi/Session13045

We look forward to your submission to the session. We are working on putting together a journal special issue on this 2016 session and the corresponding 2015 UAS session and would welcome all those who present to submit a manuscript to the issue.

Yours,

Peter Webley