VOLCANO: Goldschmidt 2016. Large Igneous Province Events and Metallogeny session

Goldschmidt 2016. Large Igneous Province Events and Metallogeny session
From: Simon Jowitt <simon.jowitt@xxxxxxxxxx>

Dear All

Apologies for cross posting. We would like to invite you to submit abstracts to session 9b, which will be held at Goldschmidt 2016 in Yokohama between the 26th June and 1st July 2016:

Session 9b: Links between Large Igneous Province Events and Metallogeny
Convenors: Simon Jowitt (simon.jowitt@xxxxxxxxxx), Richard Ernst (richard.ernst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx),
Keynote: Reid Keays

Large Igneous Provinces (LIPs) have been genetically linked with a wide variety of differing types of mineralisation, including the genesis of magmatic, hydrothermal and sedimentary deposits. In many cases carbonatites and kimberlites and their associated ore deposits are also associated with LIPs. World-class mineralised provinces related to LIPs include the Noril'sk-Talnakh deposits associated with the Siberian Trap LIP, the Olympic Dam IOCG deposit with the Gawler Craton LIP, and the Guinea bauxite deposits with weathering of rocks of the CAMP LIP. Increasing our understanding of the fundamental links between LIP magmatism and the post-magmatic processes that affect LIP rocks is vital to not only ensure success in future mineral exploration but also to understand the impact of these processes on the wider environment (e.g. the impact of potentially mineralised LIP-related hydrothermal vent complexes on the atmosphere), especially given the known links between LIPs and extinction events. The links between LIP events and metallogeny represent significant but under-investigated geochemical systems that are deserving of further research. As such, we invite submissions from researchers working on any aspect of LIP-related metallogenesis, including orthomagmatic systems, hydrothermal systems, ore deposits associated with carbonatites and kimberites, and the weathering of LIP rocks, as well as from the wider LIP community. The aim of this session is to further our knowledge of geochemical cycling associated with LIP events, and how this geochemical cycling has changed throughout the geological record.

On-line abstract submission is now open and abstracts must be submitted by 26th February 2016. More information on the abstract submission process is available here: http://goldschmidt.info/2016/abstracts

Please feel free to contact either myself or Richard if you have any problems or questions and we hope to see you at what should be a lively and insightful session!

Cheers

Simon and Richard