VOLCANO: Health Interventions in Volcanic Eruptions

Health Interventions in Volcanic Eruptions
From: "HORWELL C.J." <claire.horwell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear all,

A new study, Health Interventions in Volcanic Eruptions (HIVE) http://community.dur.ac.uk/hive.consortium/, is investigating how people protect themselves from inhaling ash during volcanic eruptions, through laboratory studies on the effectiveness of different forms of respiratory protection (RP), a clinical trial of the health benefits of wearing RP when ash is in the air and through social surveys investigating the environmental and cultural factors that control whether people will wear RP or not. The work is funded by the UK Wellcome Trust and Department for International Development (DfID) through the Research for Health in Humanitarian Crises Programme http://www.elrha.org/r2hc/home/.

Our surveys are taking place in Indonesia, Mexico and Japan but we are also very interested to know about how communities protect themselves elsewhere in the world. If you have experience of the types of respiratory protection that people wear, I would be very grateful if you could get in touch with me at Claire.horwell@xxxxxxxxxxxx. In particular, I am looking to document the types of RP used through: 1) photographs of people wearing RP; 2) samples of the RP that they wear (which will help inform the samples to be used in the laboratory study) - these might range from t-shirts/handkerchiefs/veils held over the face, through surgical masks to high-efficiency respirators. I would be grateful for rapid responses as we are aiming to start the lab study at the end of January.

Best wishes,

Claire Horwell, on behalf of the HIVE Consortium