VOLCANO: VGC 2016 - geomatics and geoscience

VGC 2016 - geomatics and geoscience
From: Simon Buckley <simon.buckley@xxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

Apologies for any cross posting of this message.

I'm pleased to announce that the 2nd Virtual Geoscience Conference (VGC 2016) will take place in Bergen, Norway, September 22-23 2016 (http://virtualoutcrop.com/vgc2016). This event follows up from the successful VGC 2014 event convened by the University of Lausanne in 2014, which attracted those working with digital mapping techniques for geoscience applications.

The conference theme is all about providing a multidisciplinary forum for researchers in geomatics, geoscience and related disciplines (e.g. visualisation, computer vision and graphics) to share their latest method developments and applications (geology, geomorphology, volcanology etc). With the steady rise in usage of 3D measurement techniques (e.g. lidar and photogrammetry), UAVs, and novel 2D imaging (hyperspectral, thermal, terrestrial InSAR etc) across the board in geoscience sub-disciplines, the contribution of spatial data is changing our mapping and analysis approaches. Today, geoscientists have a powerful multi-sensor toolbox to call upon to aid our understanding of the natural environment. VGC 2016 aims to showcase the latest developments in acquisition methods, processing techniques, analysis and communication of results, while highlighting novel applications. For 2016, we are pleased to have partnered with the Geological Remote Sensing Group, The Geological Societ
 y of London and Geological Society of Norway.

Abstract submission will open in January, with deadline 30th April 2016. A non-exclusive list of conference themes is outlined here (http://virtualoutcrop.com/vgc2016/venue/conference_themes). Keynote speakers will be announced shortly. A short course on lidar, photogrammetry and terrestrial hyperspectral imaging will take place before the main conference days, and an exciting social programme is being put in place to show off the historic city of Bergen, the Gateway to the Norwegian Fjords.

On behalf of the organising institutions (Uni Research AS and University of Bergen) and scientific committee, I encourage you to participate in VGC 2016, and to spread this announcement to your colleagues and other contacts who may be interested in attending. We are looking forward to seeing you next year in Bergen!

Website: http://virtualoutcrop.com/vgc2016

Yours sincerely,

Simon