VOLCANO: EGU 2016. Session "Structure, properties and dynamics of silicate melts and magmas of the Earth and other terrestrial planets"

EGU 2016. Session "Structure, properties and dynamics of silicate melts and magmas of the Earth and other terrestrial planets"
From: Danilo Di Genova <danilo.digenova@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear all,

we would like to draw your attention to the session titled:

GMPV5.6/PS9.6: Structure, properties and dynamics of silicate melts and magmas of the Earth and other terrestrial planets

under the section Geochemistry, Mineralogy, Petrology & Volcanology in the 2016 EGU Meeting to be held in Vienna from April 17-22, 2016.

We encourage you to submit your abstracts to this session.

The description for our session is as follows:

Session ID#: GMPV5.6/PS9.6

Knowledge and modelling of petrological and volcanic processes are underpinned by a quantitative description of the physical and thermodynamic properties of silicate melts and magmas as a function of variations in melt composition, volatile content, temperature, pressure, and proportion of suspended crystals and bubbles.

A complete understanding of the non-trivial nature of magmatic materials and structure-property relationships for silicate melts belonging to our planet still require further efforts. In addition to this, recent advances in remote sensing and analogues studies, combined with in-situ measurements by rovers on planetary surfaces, are fueling a new generation of investigations based on material pertinent to extra-terrestrial environment.

The aim of this session is to describe the state of art of the physical and thermodynamic properties of silicate melts and magmas, as well as the complex evolution of their non-linear interdependencies under natural, dynamic and non-equilibrium conditions. We therefore welcome contributions applying innovative experimental, theoretical, numerical and other approaches, on natural or synthetic magmas and silicate melts and glasses of terrestrial and extra-terrestrial interest.

Contributions can be submitted here.

Submission deadline is Wednesday, 13 January 13:00 CET.

We look forward to seeing you in Vienna.

With regards,

Danilo Di Genova (Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, Munich)

Magdalena Oryaëlle Chevrel (Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México)

Stephan Kolzenburg (Università di Torino)

Alessandro Vona (Università degli studi di Roma Tre)