VOLCANO: Matlab implementation of the Carey and Sparks (1986) model

Matlab implementation of the Carey and Sparks (1986) model
From: "Sébastien Biasse" <Sebastien.Biasse@xxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention on a new VHub submission we just added (https://vhub.org/resources/3922), which proposes a Matlab implementation of the Carey and Sparks (1986) model to estimate plume height and wind speed based on isopleth maps. We fitted Figure 16 and interpolated it over a continuous range of particle diameters and densities, with the main advantage being the possibility of contouring any clast size. Additionally, we added a module to assess the effect of particle shape (i.e. flatness and elongation; Bagheri et al. 2015) on the final values of plume height and wind speed.

This script was initially part of the TError package (Biass et al. 2014). Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any question or request.

Hope you will find this script useful and won’t miss using your ruler!

Seb Biass, Mohsen Bagheri & Costanza Bonadonna

Department of Earth Sciences, University of Geneva