VOLCANO: AGU 2015. Earth's Redox Revolution

AGU 2015. Earth's Redox Revolution
From: Christy Till <christy.till@xxxxxxx>

We have organized an interdisciplinary AGU session focused on the role of the solid Earth at the time of the Great Oxidation Event (GOE) ~2.5 Ga.  The session is hosted by AGU's Study of the Earth’s Deep Interior focus group and co-hosted by Biogeosciences, Mineral and Rock Physics and Volcanology, Geochemistry and Petrology.

We hope to have a lively discussion related to the role of the solid Earth in the GOE.

Despite the last minute nature, we hope that if you have relevant research you’ll consider submitting to the session!

Our invited speakers are:
James Kasting, Penn State
Catherine McCammon, Univ. of Bayreuth
Zachary Sharp, Univ. New Mexico
Dustin Trail, Univ. Rochester

DI005:
Earth’s Redox Revolution: Solid Earth Processes

Submit an Abstract to this Session
Session ID#: 9033
Session Description:
This session explores early solid Earth processes that could have consequences for the evolution of the redox state of the biosphere.  Differentiation and cooling of the planet during its first two billion years likely resulted in shifts in interior dynamics, magma formation, and degassing,and consequently surface redox evolution. However, these processes and their connections to redox evolution are debated. We invite submissions from a wide range of disciplines that expand our understanding of early Earth’s solid interior, its evolution, and the implications for surface redox conditions including contributions from modeling, experiments, and analytical studies.

Best,
Christy