VOLCANO: AGU 2015. Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) for natural hazard assessment and real-time emergency management (NH034)

AGU 2015. Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) for natural hazard assessment and real-time emergency management (NH034)
From: Peter Webley <pwwebley@xxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to announce the session: "Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) for natural hazard assessment and real-time emergency management (NH034)“ at the 2015 Fall AGU meeting. We invite you to submit an abstract to our session and the submission deadline is 5 August 2015, 11:59 P.M. EDT.

The session description is:

Unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) are now integral assets for emergency management in assessing natural hazard events, such as volcanic eruptions, forest fires and earthquakes, while helping to reduce the risk to people and infrastructure. For instance, a UAS can provide high spatial resolution maps of hazardous events, while carrying out insitu sampling of related airborne hazards (e.g., noxious gases, solid and liquid aerosols) in real time. The data collected from a UAS can be used by the emergency managers to focus rescue efforts and prioritize resources. The aim of this session is to bring together those who use UAS and the data collected in hazard assessment to present on the newest systems, payloads and research being performed. We invite contributions from those groups who develop and deploy the UAS in emergency management and researchers who use the data for predictive, real-time and post-event hazard assessment.

Primary Convener:
Peter W. Webley (Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska Fairbanks)

Co-conveners:
Michael C. Hatfield (Geophysical Institute & Alaska Center for Unmanned Aircraft Systems Integration, ACUASI, University of Alaska Fairbanks)
David C. Pieri (Earth Surface Science Group, Jet Propulsion Laboratory)
Matthew M. Fladeland (Airborne Science Office, NASA Ames Research Center)

Co-Sponsor(s):
A - Atmospheric Sciences
IN - Earth and Space Science Informatics
OS - Ocean Sciences
V - Volcanology, Geochemistry and Petrology

https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm15/preliminaryview.cgi/Session8578

We look forward to your submission to the session.

Yours,

Peter Webley