VOLCANO: AGU 2015. A Tangled Web? Generation and transport of fluids, volatiles and melts in subduction zones from source to surface

AGU 2015. A Tangled Web? Generation and transport of fluids, volatiles and melts in subduction zones from source to surface
From: Leif Karlstrom <leif@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

We have put together a broad session on convergence margin dynamics for AGU 2015 Fall Meeting. We welcome submissions from all relevant disciplines of geoscience.

A Tangled Web? Generation and transport of fluids, volatiles  and melts in subduction zones from source to surface.

Session ID: 9802

Session Description:

We seek to integrate multidisciplinary efforts to advance our understanding of the
generation and transport of C-S-O-H-bearing fluids, volatiles and melts in
subduction zones in space and time to further comprehend the deep volatile cycle
and arc magma genesis.  New geodynamic models and geophysical imaging
techniques continue to improve our understanding of distribution of melts and C-S-
O-H-bearing fluids in the mantle.  Ground-truth evidence for these models and
images is provided through geochemical, petrologic, geochronologic and field
studies of the lavas erupted on the surface, and the mantle and crust from which
magmas are derived and through which they must pass. Thus the tangled web of
sub-arc magmatic and volatile cycling is opening to provide a sharper view.  This
interdisciplinary session invites submissions from geochemistry, petrology,
geophysics, modeling, experiments and field geology that address the temporal and spatial evolution of the subduction outfluxes, evidence for sub-arc mantle wedge processes and geochemical exchange between the Earth’s reservoirs. We also welcome studies that explore the role of the forearc mantle wedge on the global geochemical cycle.

Conveners:

Julia Ribeiro, Rice University
Christy Till, Arizona State University
Leif Karlstrom, University of Oregon
Horst Marschall, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution

The abstract submission site
 http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2015/abstract-submissions/ is now open.
 Please submit your abstracts by* Wednesday, 5 August 23:59 EDT/03:59 +1 GMT. *

Best,

Leif Karlstrom
Assistant professor
Department of Geological Sciences