VOLCANO: IUGG 2015. VW05 QuAnMoVolc workshop

IUGG 2015. VW05 QuAnMoVolc workshop
From: spoppe <spoppe@xxxxxxxxx>

Dear participant to the VW05 QuAnMoVolc workshop,

with less than 3 weeks ahead of us, the IUGG conference, and hence our workshop on the 25th of June, in Prague, Czech Republic, is fastly approaching. Our workshop will take place at the Holiday Inn Hotel directly next to the conference center. Since we have all solicited speakers confirmed, we would like to inform you of the anticipated schedule of the day, which is at the bottom of this e-mail.

We very much invite participants who desire so to hold a 2-slide, 2-minute oral presentation during Session 2. These could be the presentation of your poster, a new model or quantification technique developed at your lab, an issue you have with scaling/set-up/quantification of your analogue models, a question to the audience, a topic you want to have discussed during the day etc.

For the splinter group discussions in the afternoon, we invite propositions of questions and topics concerning scaling and quantification of analogue models (in volcanology). These can be focused, but broad enough for participants from the entire volcanological community to be able to contribute.

If you desire so, please send your propositions and/or 2 powerpoint slides the latest on Friday 19 June to Sam Poppe at sam.poppe@xxxxxxxxx, so they can be compiled in one file for rapid switch between presenters on the workshop day itself.

Please note that, while coffee breaks will be foreseen by the conference organisation, this will not be the case for lunch. You can use the general lunch facilities offered by the conference organisation in the conference center, or find lunching opportunities nearby the conference center.
For the evening, we will book tables at a nearby local restaurant. Sometimes, the most inventive and vivid discussions on a conference need food and drinks to extrude from many a volcanologists' brain! Please confirm your attendance to this evening diner, so we have a rough idea of numbers. We will inform you about the exact place and time of the diner venue few days before the conference.

We are very much looking forward to meeting you in Prague, and would like to thank you in advance for your contribution!

See you in Prague!

Sam Poppe and Audray Delcamp*

25th June workshop schedule:

Session 1 (8:30 – 10:00) @ Holiday Inn

8:30 Welcome by Sam Poppe

8:40 – 9:10 Speaker 1: Janine Kavanagh – “The importance of modelling in volcanology”

9:10 – 9:40 Speaker 2: Karen Leever – “Colorful images and beyond: monitoring methods for quantitative analysis of analogue models of lithospheric deformation”

9:40 – 10:00 Questions to the speakers and plenary discussion

10:00 – 10:30 Coffee break

Session 2 (10:30 – 12:00) @ Holiday Inn

10:30 – 12:00 2-minute short talks, and plenary discussion on the quantification of analogue models

12:00 – 13:30 Lunch

Session 3 (13:30 – 15:00) @ Holiday Inn

13:30 – 14:00 Speaker 3: Olivier Roche – “Dimensional analysis, scaling, and similarity: An overview of the methods and their application to investigate volcanic processes”

14:00 – 14:30 Speaker 4: Ullrich Küppers – “The three youngest Plinian eruptions of Pelée, Martinique (P1, P2 & P3): Constraining eruptive conditions from field and experimental studies”

14:30 – 15:00 Questions and plenary discussion

Poster session (15:00 – 16:30) @Foyer

Session 4 (16:30 – 18:00)

16:30 – 17:30 Splinter group discussions of issues and future perspectives in the quantification and scaling of analogue models

17:30 – 18:00 Summary and future perspectives

19:00 Evening dinner

* Eoghan Holohan and Olivier Galland are sadly enough hindered from attending in Prague due to other obligations.