VOLCANO: Goldschmidt 2015. Volatiles and the Origin of the Moon (Session 23a)

Goldschmidt 2015. Volatiles and the Origin of the Moon (Session 23a)
From: "Evelyn Füri" <efueri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to session 23a at Goldschmidt 2015 in Prague (August 16-21) entitled "Volatiles and the Origin of the Moon".

Keynote speaker: Zachary Sharp (University of New Mexico)

The Moon was dry, and then it wasn’t.  Now we just aren’t sure how wet it is, or where the volatiles came from, or when they arrived.  This session will explore the implications of recent observations of volatile elements (especially H) in lunar rocks and on the lunar surface.  These data are likely to change our views regarding the formation and evolution of the Earth-Moon system, specifically with respect to the timing and mechanisms of delivery of H to the Moon, and effects/magnitude of loss of volatiles during accretion, magma ocean, and later phases of evolution.  We encourage submissions from all realms of planetary science, including but not limited to modeling, analytical geochemistry, and satellite observations of lunar volatiles.  Submissions from early career scientists and underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged.

Convenors: Jeremy Boyce & Evelyn Füri

The Goldschmidt abstract submission site is now open (http://goldschmidt.info/2015/abstracts) and will remain so until the deadline of April 2.

We look forward to seeing you in Prague!