VOLCANO: Jim Cole Symposium - 22-25 November 2013

Jim Cole Symposium - 22-25 November 2013
From:  Jim Cole Symposium Shared Mailbox <jimcolesymposium@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,
We would like to invite you to a special field trip and symposium of the Geoscience Society of New Zealand, in honour of Professor Jim Cole.

With a career spanning more than 45 years, Professor Jim Cole has had an illustrious career in volcanology, and has influenced the lives of many students and scholars as a teacher, supervisor, and researcher.  Over his career, Jim has embodied the multidisciplinary nature of modern volcanology by working across physical volcanology, petrology, geochemistry, natural hazards, economic geology and geothermal geology.  Perhaps what sets Jim apart the most is his passion for his students.  He has inspired thousands of undergraduates, and has supervised over 150 postgraduate thesis students – an astonishing record.

A field symposium in honour of Professor Jim Cole and the contributions he has made to the broad field of volcanology is to be held in the Taupo Volcanic Zone, which is to be followed by  a special session in honour of Jim ad the annual Geoscience Society of New Zealand (GSNZ) conference at the University of Canterbury, Christchurch.This session will also form the basis of a special journal issue.  We invite applications of interest for those wishing to submit new research or review articles on topics relevant to any of the fields that Jim Cole has worked in.

Registration is now open for both the GSNZ conference and the associated Jim Cole  symposium field trip:

http://www.cvent.com/events/geosciences-2013-conference/custom-18-5cb5c6cf843848df87f293052ac744e0.aspx

The dates and schedule for the field symposium and conference special session are as follows:

Dates
Field Symposium: Friday 22nd and Saturday 23rd November 2013, Taupo, NZ
Special Session at GSNZ Conference: Monday 25th November 2013, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, NZ
Schedule
  1. Thursday 21st November: Delegates arrive in Taupo. An icebreaker BBQ will be held at the Silver Fern Lodge in the evening (accommodation). An optional fieldtrip to White Island for those interested will leave early in the morning, weather permitting.
  2. Friday 22nd November: Full day fieldtrip on and around Mt Tarawera; Jim Cole’s PhD field area. To be followed by an evening dinner.
  3. Saturday 23rd November: Full day fieldtrip comprising an overview of the Okataina Caldera and associated deposits and hazards. Evening formal dinner and celebrations.
  4. Sunday 24th November: Delegates to make their own way to Christchurch, evening GSNZ icebreaker.
  5. Monday 25th November: Full day of plenary, invited talks and posters to be presented in the Special Session in honour of Jim Cole. Evening public lecture and a special presentation to follow.

The cost of attending the field symposium covers all accommodation (3 nights), transport in the field, food (breakfast, lunch and dinners), and the cost of accessing Tarawera by 4WD with accompanying guides. We aim to have free van shuttles at various times during the day on the 20th and 21st of November to get people from Rotorua airport to Taupo for those arriving by plane (we can arrange transport from Taupo airport also). Shuttles will also be arranged for departures on the Sunday.

For those interested in the optional White Island day trip to be held on the 21st November, please send a reply to this email stating your interest as this will be organised (and paid for) separately.

Finally, the 26th International Applied Geochemistry Symposium and NZ Geothermal Workshop is being held in Rotorua immediately prior to the Jim Cole Field Symposium, which may be of interest to some participants.

http://www.gns.cri.nz/iags/

We apologies for the cross-postings.  Our initial direct mail out appears to have missed some people.

We are looking forward to what will be a fun and special occasion in the TVZ with Jim,

Kind Regards,

JC Symposium Organising Committee
(Rose Turnbull, Tom Wilson, Sam Hampton, Ben Kennedy and Darren Gravley)