VOLCANO: Topical session at annual GSA: Processes and Timescales of Magma Evolution in the Crust...

Topical session at annual GSA: Processes and Timescales of Magma Evolution in the Crust...
Wendy Bohrson <bohrson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

This year's GSA Annual meeting in Denver (27-30 October) promises to be a special meeting, as 2013 is GSA's 125th Anniversary year, and it is definitely going to be igneous-friendly. Our topical session (T220): Processes and Timescales of Magma Evolution in the Crust: Insights from the Past Fifty Years and Approaches for the Next Fifty Years offers excellent opportunities to present, hear about, and discuss issues in which igneous petrology and volcanology play a central role, and we hope that you will strongly consider submitting an abstract and joining us. Our invited speakers, Kari Cooper, Blair Schoene, and Bob Wiebe, set the stage for an exciting session.  The session description is below. If you have any questions, please contact one of us, and we hope to see you in Denver!

Best regards, Cal Barnes (CAL.BARNES@xxxxxxx)

Calvin Miller (calvin.miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Wendy Bohrson (bohrson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

T220: Processes and Timescales of Magma Evolution in the Crust: Insights from the Past Fifty Years and Approaches for the Next Fifty Years

Conveners: Cal Barnes, Calvin Miller, Wendy Bohrson

Fifty years of research on volcanic and plutonic rocks have afforded new views on the processes and timescales over which magmas evolve, aggregate, differentiate, and then erupt to form volcanic rocks or solidify to form plutons. The next fifty years will build upon constraints from fieldwork, petrology, geochemistry, magma dynamics, and computational models. We invite submissions that address the following questions: (1) Are there characteristic timescales of evolution for magmas that form plutonic rocks vs. those that erupt to form volcanic rocks? How do such timescales relate to volume, composition, and tectonic setting? (2) Are there fundamental differences in melt and mineral compositions for volcanic vs. plutonic rocks? What petrologic processes produce compositional diversity in volcanic and plutonic rocks? (3) What new research approaches will promote crustal-scale understanding of the P-T-t-X paths that magmas take as they traverse through and/or stall in the crust?

Invited Speakers: Kari Cooper, Blair Schoene, and Bob Wiebe