VOLCANO: Session 1-5 at 2013 IAVCEI General Assembly - “Generation, transport, and emplacement of magma in the continental crust”

Session 1-5 at 2013 IAVCEI General Assembly - “Generation, transport, and emplacement of magma in the continental crust”
From: Shan de Silva <desilvas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

We encourage you to submit an abstract to session 1-5, “Generation, transport, and emplacement of magma in the continental crust” at the 2013 IAVCEI General Assembly, to be held in Kagoshima, Japan, July 20-24.

The goal of the session is to explore magmatic processes in the continental crust from the generation of magma in the lower crust, its subsequent evolution through the crust leading to the formation of shallow magma storage zones and plutonic bodies and how these processes are reflected by the volcanic record.  We wish to bring together a diverse group of researchers (geophysicists, geologists, and geochemists), who investigate crustal magmatism from different perspective in different tectonic environments.  It is hoped that this session will foster further multidisciplinary projects in the characterization of magma generation and magmatic systems in the continental crust.

Abstracts are due January 31, and can be submitted viahttp://www.iavcei2013.com/abstract_submission/abstract_submission.html

All the best for the New Year

Katsuya KANEKO (Kyoto University)
Mitsuhiro NAKAGAWA (Hokkaido University)
Shanaka DE SILVA (Oregon State University)

Session description:

Igneous activity in continental crust produces volcanoes and plutonic bodies with various geometries and magmatic compositions that reflect crustal evolution and construction. For example, we see supervolcanoes and batholiths of felsic rock, stratovolcanoes of intermediate composition, and shield volcanoes, flood basalts, and gabbroic plutons of mafic rock. This variety reflects the interplay of mantle derived magmas and continental crust in the context of tectonic environment. In this session, we hope to explore magmatic processes in the continental crust from the generation of magma in the lower crust, its subsequent evolution through the crust leading to the formation of shallow magma storage zones and plutonic bodies and how these processes are reflected by the volcanic record. Specific questions that we hope to address include: What are the physical and petrological processes in the lower crust that lead to the formation, segregation and transport of magmas. At what levels in the crust does magma evolution take place, what transformations take place and how do we detect these? Why does magma stall in shallow reservoirs at pre-eruptive levels and what controls whether a magma erupts or forms a pluton? What determines the type of volcanism that occurs? What are the characteristics rates and material balances that characterize these processes and what are various approaches we use to decipher these? Understanding crustal magmatism remains a major challenge for the community but is critical for a complete understanding of earth's volcanism and associated hazards. Progress requires a multidisciplinary approach and we hope to attract contributions from geological, geochemical, and geophysical and modeling perspectives.

__________
Currently on sabbatical as

Visiting Professor
Earth Observatory of Singapore
Nanyang Technological University
50 Nanyang Ave, Blk N2-01a-10
Singapore 639798

Phone: (65) 6592-7536  Fax: (65) 6792-2149

Permanent address:
Professor
College of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences
CEOAS Admin 104
Oregon State University
Corvallis
OR 97331

Ph: 541 737 1212
Fax: 541 737 1201

http://www.geo.oregonstate.edu/people/faculty/Shan_deSilva

http://www.geo.oregonstate.edu/research_groups/viper/main.htm

VolcanoWorld - http://volcano.oregonstate.edu

Increasing Diversity in the Earth Sciences
http://ides.science.oregonstate.edu

PLUTONS - exploring the Volcano-Plutonic Connection
http://plutons.science.oregonstate.edu