VOLCANO: Session at 2013 IAVCEI General Assembly

Session at 2013 IAVCEI General Assembly
From: "Bachmann Olivier" <olivier.bachmann@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

We encourage you to submit an abstract to session 1-4b, “The crustal architecture of magmatic systems” at the 2013 IAVCEI General Assembly, to be held in Kagoshima, Japan, July 20-24.

The goal of the session is to determine the state-of-the-art of our knowledge and highlight new research directions in the study of crustal architecture of magmatic systems. We wish to bring together a diverse group of researchers (geophysicists, geologists, and geochemists), who investigate magmatic systems with different angles in different tectonic environments.  it is hoped that this session will foster further multidisciplinary projects in the characterization of plumbing systems beneath volcanoes.

Abstracts are due January 31, and can be submitted via http://www.iavcei2013.com/abstract_submission/abstract_submission.html

Best wishes for the New Year

Christian Huber (Georgia Tech)
Olivier Bachmann (ETHZ)

Session description:

In order to better predict volcanic eruptions, it is fundamental to build a better understanding of where arc magmas stall in the crust, in what volumes, and why magma storage differs from one volcano to another. Using this information, geochemists could develop more tightly constrained and quantitative interpretations of the processes of magma crystallization, assimilation, melt extraction, mixing and degassing in the Earth's crust; geophysicists could more accurately interpret the structure of the Earth's crust and upper mantle; and volcanologists could better infer the potential hazards related to a specific volcanic area (e.g., the size and duration of future eruptions). We propose a session that would focus on determining the shapes, sizes and thermodynamical state of crustal magma reservoirs, particularly in the mid-to upper crust, using different tools/techniques (seismic tomography, Magneto-Telluric surveys, gas geochemistry, geochemistry-petrology, fluid dynamic mode
 lling). This session would complement other topical sessions that concentrate on deeper magmatic processes (upper mantle and lower crust). We encourage contributions that merge different approaches, aiming towards a more global understanding of the processes involved.