VOLCANO: Tenure-Track Faculty Position at Michigan Tech

Tenure-Track Faculty Position at Michigan Tech
From: Greg Waite <gpwaite@xxxxxxx>

The Department of Geological and Mining Engineering and Sciences at Michigan Tech invites applications for a tenure-track appointment at the Assistant Professor level. Candidates with demonstrated achievements commensurate with appointment at the Associate Professor level will also be considered.  A Ph.D. in science or engineering is required by the time of appointment. The ideal candidate would conduct research in structural geology, economic geology, petrology, geochemistry, geophysics, or related areas. However, we will consider outstanding applicants who can either complement our department’s strengths (remote sensing, volcanology, hydrology, petroleum geology, and geological engineering) or can help expand our department into new directions that show promise of future development. The ability to teach a summer field geology course and/or support our growing undergraduate program in Mining Engineering will be considered an advantage. Applicants will be evaluated based on their ability to obtain external funding, publish scholarly research, and succeed in undergraduate and graduate teaching.

Michigan Tech has a total student population of about 7000 and is located at Houghton, MI, in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, a pristine area on the south shore of Lake Superior. The department is committed to a strong educational focus and values basic and applied interdisciplinary research. Undergraduate and graduate programs are offered in Geology, Geological Engineering and Applied Geophysics. Interested candidates can learn more about the department faculty, research, and educational programs at www.mtu.edu/geo.

Applicants should send a single PDF document containing a detailed curriculum vitae, a statement of research capabilities and interests, a statement of teaching experience and interests, and the names and complete contact information for at least three professional references. Applications should be e-mailed to geosearch@xxxxxxx. Applications received by January 30, 2013 will receive the fullest consideration.

Michigan Tech is an ADVANCE institution, one of a limited number of universities in receipt of NSF funds in support of our commitment to increase diversity and the participation and advancement of women in STEM. The university is also in its sixth year of a strategic faculty hiring initiative (see www.mtu.edu/sfhi).

We also have a Dual Career Program which assists departments with partner orientation to the university and community and identification of possible positions for partners (see www.dual.mtu.edu).

Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer.