VOLCANO: Announcement of potential GSL Special Publication on “Volcanism and Tectonism Across the Solar System”

Announcement of potential GSL Special Publication on “Volcanism and Tectonism Across the Solar System”
From: Thomas Platz <Thomas.Platz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Potential submissions requested by 17 December for proposed GSL Special Publication on “Volcanism and Tectonism Across the Solar System”

During the past three EGU conferences we have had a significant number of presentations in our sessions. To compile our knowledge in those two fields of terrestrial and extraterrestrial research we wish to propose a GSL Special Publication. To help capture our knowledge during our past and upcoming EGU sessions, we would like to finalise the proposal in early December. To do so, we need a list of tentative titles and authors of potential contributions by Monday, 17 December, 4pm GMT. Your indication of interest should be sent to Thomas Platz (thomas.platz@xxxxxxxxxxxx).

Session contributions during past EGU conferences are not a requirement for stating your interest of submitting a manuscript to this proposed special volume. Preliminary titles and author lists are for the sole purpose of planning and proposing this volume. Please note that submitting tentative titles and author lists is not an obligation to submit a manuscript if our proposal gets accepted.

Manuscript submissions are planned to start on Monday, 4 March terminating on Friday, 17 May. Finalisation and publication is scheduled for autumn 2013. All manuscripts will be subject to a standard review procedure.

Recent advances in the GSL publishing process – from electronic submission and review process to online first publication – are highlighted below.

The proposed special publication aims to compile all facets of volcanism, tectonism, faulting, and associated interactions observed across the solar system including Earth. By merging Earth and planetary sciences, the interpretations of extraterrestrial landforms and their formational processes will be (re)viewed in the light of our current understanding of related processes on Earth.

Best regards,

Matteo Massironi,

Paul Byrne,

Harald Hiesinger &

Thomas Platz

Why should you publish in a GSL special publication? (from Angharad Hills, Commissioning Editor, The Geological Society Publishing House)

§  The volumes in this series are published online in the Lyell Collection (http://www.lyellcollection.org) and as hardback books. This series is highly regarded internationally for the quality of science and production. They are also widely read: there were more than two million accesses of the online abstracts last year, and about 320,000 downloads of full papers. The Society takes part in a scheme to provide free access to researchers in developing countries. Sales of the hardback books continue to be healthy.

§  We can publish a first batch of papers in the Online First section of the Lyell Collection without having to wait for the whole book to complete and other papers will then be added as they are accepted. This will substantially reduce the publication delays previously associated with this type of collection (http://www.geolsoc.org.uk/onlinefirst).

§  Our SPs are included in the ISI Web of Science, in their new Book Citation Index, and also in Scopus, which is used for UK and other research assessment data provision. Both Indexes allow authors to obtain citation figures for their paper and contribute towards their h-index. It is also very easy to find them in Google Scholar.

§  We offer 3 free colour figures in the print version for each paper. Any number of figures can be in colour for free in the online version.

We have an online submission and review system for handling the papers, which allows us to offer more administrative help with progress chasing and such like, making the editors’ task less onerous.
--
Dr Thomas Platz
Freie Universität Berlin

ph:  +49 30 838 70822