VOLCANO: Cultural and Religious Responses to Volcanic Disasters

Cultural and Religious Responses to Volcanic Disasters
From: David Harris <dmwharris@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear All,

I am currently at University College London and reading in MSc Geophysical Hazards and currently undergoing research on my thesis - "Analyzing the contrast between cultural and religious responses in disaster literature and its impact on mitigation, with emphasis on the eruptions of Krakatau in 1883 and Pinatubo in 1991" The aim of my research is to examine how religious and cultural understandings have become hidden and forgotten about in disaster literature by the comparison of literatures on different events and how they should be interconnected with risk planning and mitigation in disasters in the future as they play an important role within traditional societies.

My thesis emphasises on the contrast between the 1883 eruption of Krakatau and the 1991 eruption of Mount Pinatubo. However, I am also keen to get the viewpoint of the current scientists and academics in the field and see how they go about their research and if they include religion and culture currently, especially in volcanic disasters.

If you have not done so already (i.e. when I last sent out this email in January and November) I would be very grateful if you could complete the very short survey (link below).

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/79Y3QZC

If you have any questions, would to like add information, or would like to know more, please email david.harris.11@xxxxxxxxx or dmwharris@xxxxxxxxxxx

Many Thanks,

David Harris