VOLCANO: Geology Congress in Argentina

Geology Congress in Argentina
From: Patricia Sruoga <patysruoga@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to call your attention to a special session, S10a, on “Active volcanoes: evolution and monitoring”, to be convened at the XVIII Congreso Geológico Argentino, 2-6 May 2011 (Neuquén, Argentina). We cordially invite you to submit a paper and the deadline for the submission of abstracts is July 31st, 2010.  Information regarding the Congress and guidelines pertinent to abstract format, submission and oral/poster presentations are available at the following website (www.congresogeologico.org.ar)

We look forward to meeting you in Neuquén.
Best regards,
The conveners

S10a “Active volcanoes: evolution and monitoring”

Covener: Patricia Sruoga (patysruoga@xxxxxxxxx)
Co-convener: Alberto Caselli (acaselli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

This session seeks contributions that present geological studies and varied monitoring techniques involving active volcanoes. The aim of the session is to promote discussion on hazard assesment and risk mitigation.  Papers on Andean active volcanoes are particularly welcome.

The session will address the following topics:
- Volcanic stratigraphy
- Geochronology
- Volcanic deposits and processes
- Sructural control
- Geochemistry and petrology
- Volcanic seismology
- Volcanic fluid geochemistry (gases & waters)
- Ground deformation
- Remote sensing
- Other geophysical techniques
- Eruptive modeling