Italian court case

Here's a follow-up on the email forwarded by Rick Wunderman a few days
ago concerning the indictment of seven scientists and government
officials by an Italian court for their failure to predict the severity
and timing of last year's L'Aquila earthquake. Many scientific
organizations including the American Geophysical Union have now called
on their membership to sign petitions protesting this unprecedented
intervention of a judicial system in a science policy matter. I'm
attaching below (Attachment #1) the AGU's announcement from earlier
today about the situation.

While there appears to be general consensus among the global scientific
community about the impropriety of the Italian court's actions, Volcano
Listserv has received a few emails from Italian and American
geophysicists SUPPORTING the indictments. In each case, the authors
disagree with the specific methods used for hazard assessment by the
Italian defendants, and based on this disagreement, say that the
scientists should indeed be held liable. While it is certainly their
right to make such assertions, this minority view misses the chilling
and anti-scientific implications of the Italian court's actions.

Nonetheless, I am attaching one of these messages for your information
at the end of this email (Attachment #2). Please note that Volcano
Listserv in no way supports this point of view. As I indicated earlier,
we do not intend to host further debate on this issue, unless some
significant new developments come to light.

Jonathan Fink
Founder and Editor of Volcano Listserv
Arizona State University