VOLCANO: Student looking for field work experience

Student looking for field work experience
From: Sophie Blackburn <s.blackburn@xxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Sir/Madam,

It was suggested that I contact you via the Volcano Listserv by Dr Clive
Oppenheimer, who taught me Volcanology in my third year at Cambridge
University. I graduated in 2009 in Geography and will be starting a
Masters course in Environment and Development at King’s College London in
September. I am aiming for a career in natural hazard management, and this
summer I am seeking field experience in this area to broaden my skills
base.

Ideally I am looking for 2-3 weeks unpaid work assisting on a research
project some time between 10th August and the middle of September 2010.
However if a longer/shorter period of work was required I am flexible on
this. I wondered if you might be willing to take on a volunteer in this
capacity (or knew of any other researchers I might approach) to assist
with a current or forthcoming project?

I am particularly interested in volcanic, seismic and related hazards –
the physical geography of these as well as the impacts on populations and
associated policy issues. My degree afforded me a thorough understanding
of a range of environmental processes (modules included Volcanology,
Environmental change, Natural Hazards and Glaciology) and the importance
of interactions between people and their natural environment. I was
awarded a first class for my dissertation on Environmental Values of
Conservation Volunteers, and achieved a 2.1 overall. My experience of
overseas field work ranges from residential field visits to Iceland and
Portugal where I observed volcanic and wildfire hazards respectively, to a
3 month placement in the Peruvian rainforest where I undertook
conservation work. Since graduating I have worked at the Royal
Geographical Society in London in the Expedition and Fieldwork division. I
am well-organised, enthusiastic and eager to learn!

If you can offer any advice in this matter or require any further
information please contact me at s.blackburn@xxxxxxxxxx.

Many thanks in advance.

Best wishes,

Sophie