VOLCANO: Seeking lecturer/instructor or research position

Seeking lecturer/instructor or research position
From: Christyanne Melendez <melendezc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello,

I hope this email finds you all well.

I am writing this email to inquire about possible lecturer/instructor or
research positions.  I am currently a lecturer in the Department of Geology at
Appalachian State University in Boone, NC, USA.  My research interests are in
volcanology, specifically the interactions between volcanoes and society such as
volcano culture, volcano myths and how they can be integrated into volcanic
hazards mitigation strategies, and emerging issues related to volcano tourism.
I am eager to relocate to a volcanically active region of the world where I can
either be employed A) as a lecturer/instructor where I can pursue my research
interests, or B) as a research assistant focusing on issues related to volcanoes
and society.

As a lecturer at ASU for the past three years, I have taught introductory
courses in physical and environmental geology; developed the curriculum for and
taught a first year seminar course entitled, Volcanoes and Mythology; took part
in departmental committees; and participated in professional service.

My teaching skills include the ability to create and deliver 20- to 120-minute
lectures; develop and implement interactive course activities; generate and lead
course discussions; and design course materials including homework, projects,
review sheets, quizzes, and exams.  My student evaluations have been
consistently high and have remarked on my capacity to create challenging and
thought-provoking lectures infused with personal stories and current geologic
events.

I have also taken part in introductory geology lab revisions as a member of the
lab revisions committee in addition to being an active member of the recruitment
committee in the department.  As an alumna of the NSF EAPSI fellowship program,
I participate in the application review committee for new applicants.  I am also
a language editor for the Central European Journal of Geosciences.

I am a native English speaker and have intermediate Spanish speaking skills and
an introductory-level understanding of Japanese.  In addition to teaching as a
geology lecturer, I would also be open to the possibility of teaching ESL
science or math courses.

I am happy to provide a CV, teaching philosophy, cover letter, or other
application materials.  Please feel free to contact me with any questions or
requests for further information.  Please see contact information below.

Thank you for your time and consideration.   I look forward to and welcome any

Sincerely,
Christyanne Melendez