VOLCANO: CoV6 Session: 1.2 Understanding Volcano Hazards

CoV6 Session: 1.2 Understanding Volcano Hazards
From: Thomas C Pierson <tpierson@xxxxxxxx>

In the 20th century alone, more than 91,700 people were killed by volcano
hazards, and a total of about 5.6 million people were negatively affected
in some way.  Despite the risks that volcanoes pose, people continue to be
drawn to live and work in volcanic hazard zones all around the world.  The
Cities on Volcanoes 6 (COV6) international conference being held on
Tenerife (Canary Islands, Spain) from May 31 to June 4, 2010 includes a
session aimed at improving our knowledge of these various natural
processes.  Session 1.2:  Understanding Volcano Hazards will examine
advances in our understanding of the full suite of volcano hazards that
put people at risk.  These hazards include magmatic processes, such as
pyroclastic density currents, tephra fall, release of toxic gases, and
lava flows, as well as volcano-hydrologic processes (not always occurring
during eruptions), such as lahars, flank-collapse debris avalanches,
volcanic flooding and sedimentation hazards, and volcanogenic tsunamis.
Contributions to this session from field, experimental, and numerical
modeling studies are invited in the areas of:

·       Initiation mechanisms
·       Process mechanics and characteristics
·       Magnitude, frequency, and timing
·       Detection, forecasting, and prediction methods

As one of the co-conveners of this session, I urge you to consider
submitting an abstract for this session.  The abstract submission deadline
is February 28.  Check the official website for more information and
submission details:  http://www.citiesonvolcanoes6.com .

Field trips associated with the meeting will examine spectacularly exposed
volcanic and volcaniclastic deposits on several of the islands.  Hope to
see you there.

--Tom Pierson, USGS Cascades Volcano Observatory