VOLCANO: EGU 2010 Session: GMPV6 Monitoring and observations of active volcanoes using in-situ and remote sensing techniques

EGU 2010 Session: GMPV6 Monitoring and observations of active volcanoes using in-situ and remote sensing techniques
From: "Mike Burton" <burton@xxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

                    We warmly invite you to participate in session GMPV 6
of the EGU 2010 meeting, entitled "Monitoring and observations of active
volcanoes using in-situ and remote sensing techniques". The meeting will be
held in Vienna between 2nd and 7th May 2010. The objective of this session
is to examine both the current state of several active volcanoes and the
state of the art in monitoring techniques used to observe them. We therefore
strongly encourage presentations of recent and ongoing activity and the
methods used to monitor this activity. By focussing on volcanoes rather than
specific subject areas or techniques we will gain a broad overview of
multidisciplinary approaches and a deeper insight into the volcanic systems
examined.

Please note that some financial support is potentially available, on
application, for abstracts submitted on or before 4th December. We therefore
recommend that submissions that may require financial support are submitted
before this date. Further details for the three support schemes may be found
here:
http://meetings.copernicus.org/egu2010/support_and_distinction/financial_sup
port.html

Abstract submission may be performed from this page by clicking on Abstract
Submission: http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2010/session/1979. The
deadline for abstract submissions is 18th January 2010.

A summary of the session is included below. We look forward to seeing you in
Vienna.

Mike Burton, Alessandro Bonaccorso, Andy Harris, Jurgen Neuberg and Thomas
Staudacher,

Volcanoes produce a wide range of hazards and require an array of strategies
in order to adequately protect populations living in their shadow. These
monitoring strategies are under continuous development, and observations
using methods both old and new reveal novel insights into volcanic
processes. The aim of this session is to bring together a multidisciplinary
audience to learn about recent innovations in monitoring approaches and to
present observations that increase our understanding of volcanic processes.
We welcome contributions from all disciplines involved in volcano
monitoring, from in-situ methods such as seismic networks, geodetic networks
and gas monitoring, as well as ground, air and space-based remote sensing
methods. The session will provide an opportunity to discuss volcanic
activity from a monitoring perspective on a wide range of volcanoes. We
therefore encourage submission of papers that describe novel techniques and
observations in a manner that is easily understandable to a broad,
multi-disciplinary audience.