VOLCANO: Speculative application to post doctorate position on volcano-seismological approach of active magmatic system

Speculative application to post doctorate position on
volcano-seismological approach of active magmatic system
From: Fred Massin <frederick.massin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Researchers,

I am a Ph.D. student in volcano-seismology at the University of la
Réunion working under the supervision of  Patrick Bachèlery (Director
of the Geo-Sciences Laboratory at the Université de la Réunion) and
Valérie Ferrazzini (Volcano-seismologist the Piton de la Fournaise
Volcano Observatory-OVPF). My research is focused on the understanding
of magma storage and transfer processes at Piton de la Fournaise
volcano and is based on the analysis of source mechanisms of
volcano-tectonic events recorded by the OVPF permanent seismic network
from 2000 to 2008. In my thesis I have developed a method that uses
automatic pick time estimation (CEC Method) and waveform clustering to
relocate (hypoDD) and determine (fpfit) the sources of VT events. The
obtained results allow highlighting the common part of the seismicity
between pre-eruptive crisis. All these procedures can be adapted for
real time analysis and eruption monitoring. The detailed analysis of
focal mechanisms provides a comprehensive view of the stress field and
allows refining a structural model (analyzed with CalculiX) that
accounts for the major caldera-forming eruption of Piton de la
Fournaise volcano (2007).

The analysis of random signal interferometry, and P waves passive
tomography gives realistic estimation of 3D velocity model. Random
signals interferometry indicates temporal changes in physical
properties of volcanoes during the preparation of eruptive episodes.
As a development of my research, I propose the comparison of the
results obtained from coda waves analysis with waveform clusters
chronology and deformation trends, which highlight the temporal change
of active structures. When integrated into sources study (focal
mechanism determination and inversion), those observations are a
robust basis for the the implementation of realistic 4D model of
magmatic systems. In particular, this approach leads to stress field
numerical modeling, which is one of the most important tools for
predicting the spatial and temporal patterns of observed volcanic
activity.

My phD thesis comes to end in November 2009 and I would like to apply
for a post-doc position with focus on volcano-seismology. Please find
enclosed a link to my CV and a more extended description of my
research.
http://filex.univ-reunion.fr/get?k=cBreol0CyP7OwdE7FjB
I look forward to receiving information about a postdoctoral
opportunity at your Institutions,

Sincerely yours,

Frédérick Massin