VOLCANO: Ash and dome rock wanted

Ash and dome rock wanted
From: "David E. Damby" <D.E.Damby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear All,

I am a PhD student at Durham University, UK, working on cristobalite formation in volcanic domes and its associated health hazard with Dr Claire Horwell. I am trying to collect samples of ash and dome-rock, erupted during dome-collapse events. I am particularly keen to acquire samples of co-ignimbrite ash fall, together with samples of dome rock collected from the deposit from that same eruption. I realise this is a 'tall-order' so separate samples would also be very valuable.

I am looking to gather samples from around the world in order to characterise different dome-forming eruptions, so any samples would be gratefully received. I already have a large collection of dome rock from Mt St Helens 1980-86. If you happen to have samples of ash collected from the eruptions following 18 May 1980 (later 1980-1986), I would be very grateful.

I am hoping to do toxicological work on the samples so would appreciate ash which was collected 'fresh' at the time of eruption and stored in dry conditions.

If you are able to help, I would appreciate samples of ash of around 10-20 g or more and dome samples which are large enough to make thin sections from.

Best wishes,

David Damby

d.e.damby@xxxxxxxxx